Friday, June 14, 2013

Miss Independent Adriana



Do you ever think that maybe your baby really does understand more than you realize? For the past several weeks, I have been paying closer attention to the responsiveness of Adriana. I started to notice she responds more instead of just staring. She will not just nod her head in agreement but say yes – or answer appropriately to the question. If I ask her to look for something she says “Where are you?” If I say “Do you.....” she responds with a shake or nod of the head plus verbally answers.

At first, I thought I was just imagining things; hearing things even! My 17 month old is really responding to my questions? She follows direction well too, which we tested last night in the bath. First off, we were running the water while she finished her desert and she pointed and said “Bath”. Yes that is a bath. Then while in the bath, I let her take the cloth from me. I asked if she was going to wash herself – let’s start with the face. She wiped her face. Next I asked her to wash her chest and she did. We moved all the way down to her toes and I asked her to rinse her hair....and she put the cloth on her head!
I give credit to talking our way through all the baths. For the longest time, we have always said things like “let’s wash your arms” or “don’t forget in between your toes!” I’m guessing she really was paying attention then!

It’s not just in the bath I see signs of comprehending command. After she’s done eating, she has made it a habit to put everything on her plate (like her cup) when she’s finished and hand it to someone. This means she has had enough and would like you to take her plate Lol It saves from her throwing it on the floor – she has yet to do that! Even when playing with toys, she will put them away in the baskets or container. She very rarely leaves a mess! 
 Walking the doggy with Gran around the block
 Mommy and Adriana hanging out in the backyard
 Crazy baby on the loose!
 Running laps around the backyard at Gran's house
 Sitting by the window at Extreme Pita - so pretty!
 Fancy new summer dress :)
Beautiful flowers that Adriana and Nana picked for me. Love them!


Adriana is starting to understand her animals. Of course, she knows the basics: doggy, cat, bird, bunny, etc. She knows lion, cow, chicken, goat, horse too. It’s amazing to me! I ask her what a lion says, she replies with “RAWWWRRR!” She has a fascination with frog as well. She can’t quite make the sound, but she walks like a frog and thinks it is the funniest thing in the world! I love it.
She has been at the “Mine” stage for a month now. Fortunately for us, it’s not getting worse! I don’t give in to it either. If Adriana can’t have something, she can’t have it. Of course, she throws herself on the floor in a tantrum, but I ignore that part and she gets up and brushes herself off. Short and sweet. If it does last longer, then the power of distraction works just fine. Usually with a snack or drink or doggy. If that doesn’t work then she’s just tired! 

I make sure to have the patience (and time) to explain things to Adriana as well. While playing with someone (or some kids) if she’s grabby then I deal with it right then and there. I simply explain that the other person was playing with it and she needs to give it back and play with something else. She seems to understand, which I’m not sure is a distraction technique with another toy or if she really does understand. Regardless, it works!



How do you handle tantrums?
What are ways to teach your child to share?
Tell me about some independent things your child is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment