Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introduction - How the journey began


So I have decided to enter the blogging world!! I have wanted to share my story as a 20-something new mother of one (so far!) because I have had quite the journey and can’t wait to include you in all the adventures.
When my boyfriend (yes boyfriend!) and I decided we wanted to start a family, we thought it would take some time. We were a bit naive I guess! It was May 19, 2011 at 11pm when I found out that I was pregnant. I remember very clearly because I had to be back at work for 2:30am for inventory! We both sort of knew it was going to be a positive test, but didn’t realize the overwhelming amount of joy we would feel to see it right in front of us. It was surreal almost.
We held off on telling anyone at first – I broke and told my friend Manuella, whom I knew would never tell a soul! I felt a bit more relieved that I at least told one person. Secrets kill me….I am the worst for keeping them from everyone when I know they’re going to eventually find out! I knew it was only a few weeks until Father’s day, which is when we decided to tell our families; first his, then mine. Surprisingly, his mother took things quite well. Better than I thought! Mine, however, were a bit iffy.
My mother didn’t believe me, my dad didn’t get it, and my sister sat silent! We gave my father a “Happy Father’s Day, Grandpa” card in hope it would set off some thoughts in his head – nope. His response was “Grandpa! I’m not that old!” Oh Dad….
Once it sank in that we were going to have a baby, there wasn’t much to say. I knew all the thoughts running through my mother’s head, without her saying a word: “Baby! You’re too young”, “why!?”, “what about finishing school?”, “how are you going to afford this?”, etc. In my own head, I answered all those questions for her and later would tell her face to face. We did not stay long after telling them…we wanted the news to sink in.
Although, they didn’t show their THRILLED emotions at the time, a few weeks later I started to see them. I think it became more real to them (and me) once they saw my little belly starting to grow. It was like one day I just popped out a belly! I am a petite woman to begin with so eventually I knew this would be happening; I just didn’t think within a few short weeks! I loved having my belly too. I never ever hid it behind big shirts or covered it up with sweaters. I would wear the same things I wore before I was pregnant. Actually, I ended up only buying 2 maternity pants and 1 sweater! I worked with “normal” clothes, trying to find things with stretch or an empire waist to sit above my belly. This also allowed me to shop at all my regular stores! Shopping while pregnant is a whole different day and a whole different post!
On August 18, 2011, I found out that we were having a girl! Now, as much as I was excited to be having a daughter, my boyfriend was not as excited. He really had his hopes set on a boy – even going as far to say he does not “make” girls. Silly man. His view changed quickly and I know he would never ever change his little girl for anything in this whole world! By the time I was 6 months pregnant – he was asking for her to come now. That was just around the time we did a 3D ultrasound! Best money we ever spent before she came. It was about $155 for 2 printed pictures, 20-30 pictures on a CD and a DVD of it all. She wasn’t much of a mover through the whole thing but it was definitely an experience we both enjoyed! Just after we left there, my mom was calling saying to come over and watch the video. Told ya she would come around!
For the last few months of my pregnancy I decided to start doing Prenatal Yoga. Best thing ever! I found a place not far from our apartment so I could walk there and back easily. I had never done yoga before so I was a bit hesitant to go but heard such wonderful things for pregnant woman! It was a small class of about 8-10 woman, ranging from 20weeks to the full 37 weeks! We started every class with how we were doing – aches and pains, thoughts and feelings, gains and losses. It was a good 15mins introduction for those who just joined the class. You’d be surprised at how much this helped me through my pregnancy. I like to think that I had a very easy pregnancy and with the minor stress factors, yoga really helped me deal with those at the time as well as the labour when it came! Go to Prenatal Yoga
I ended up working until about a month before my due date. With Christmas coming up, I had no shopping done, no decorations put up, nothing done! I needed that month to prepare for the holidays as well as the baby. Plus my boyfriend was done for the season and would be there to keep me company and help when I needed him to.
The holidays came and all my Dad kept telling me was “not to ruin Christmas” lol Funny guy didn’t want me to interrupt his dinner! All joking aside, I knew it was coming soon and a bit nervous for the labour. I wasn’t sure what to expect – I really couldn’t know since everyone and every pregnancy is different. Sometimes fears would set in and I would pace around the apartment to keep myself busy. I noticed I was having a hard time sleeping at night too. The end was near and I could feel it. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment