Tuesday, May 29, 2012

After Delivery


Since Adriana was born early in the morning, we had to stay until the following day. Our first visitors were my twin sister and her fiance. They had some running around to do for their upcoming wedding and made it just in time! I was still in the Labour and Delivery room and Patrick was actually nominated to push my wheelchair up the hall to our room. Note: My boyfriend had left to let the dog out and feed him; he’s on a routine and it works! Jill was the first person to hold her after she was born besides the people who were there through it all – my boyfriend and mother.
The next visitors were my boyfriend’s brother, his wife and son. They also brought breakfast! Even though the hospital supplied my meals – I hate hospital food lol A giant berry smoothie sounded better than microwaved eggs and dry toast.
Aiden, my boyfriend’s nephew, is five years old and will be greeting HIS own sister in August this year. I wasn’t sure how he would react but it seemed pretty normal for a kid his age. He literally stood with his nose against the wall…away from the baby! He wouldn’t even look at her, let alone touch or talk to her. I hope he gets used to her soon because he has his own on the way in just a few months. Thank God he came around – very slowly – and at his own pace. He started to at least look at her and then a few weeks later he would acknowledge her in the room. After she was a few months old, he started to touch her hands or feet. A few more weeks after that, he started to be curious while I changed her diaper. She was exactly 4 months old when he finally asked his Dad: “Why doesn’t Adriana have a penis?” Legit question for a five year old! I was surprised it took this long – but glad it was to his parents and not me!
Now, the nurses didn’t tell me much when I got to my room. I refused to wake up Adriana to feed her. I figured she will know when she’s hungry and pass that message to me. Good thing because this awesome baby went 4hrs between feedings right from the start. I had no problems changing diapers or clothing her, the nurses took care of the washing and made sure I had enough formula. Yes, formula. I tried to breastfeed and it wasn’t working. Poor little girl wouldn’t latch on, so I had to supplement until we could figure that out. Never ending up happening – she is a bottle fed baby.
I had prepared myself for the worse. I was expecting a crying, screaming, wailing baby…instead I had this sweet, adorable, q-u-i-e-t baby. I couldn’t believe it!! My whole pregnancy I mentally prepared myself for long nights of no sleep and pacing with a crying baby. In its place, I was blessed with a good baby. A few weeks after being home with her, I would rock her to sleep and CRY because she was SO good! I thanked God for giving me this gift of a child…and a good child. I truly felt blessed.
My first day as a new mom was filled with lots of visitors! After my boyfriend`s brother and gang left, my older sister showed up with her boyfriend. This is the sister who will be leaving for Australia in June for a year! It was very important to me that she came to visit. They got to hold her and take lots of pictures – which will be handy in her photo book when they move. Kim and Tim were very excited to see her finally! My sister would message me almost every day for a month, asking if it was Baby Time yet? Tim was no different. He would talk about how his “new niece will be here soon…”
I was able to get some sleep after the first few visitors. I mean, I was up for over 24hrs and needed to take advantage of it while I could! Unfortunately, the sun was so bright that day I could barely shut my eyes properly. Instead, I rested as much as I could before a new flock of visitors came.
It was later in the afternoon when we saw more people. This time it was Chris’ mom and sister-in-law (again…she was absolutely excited for her first niece!) His mother was at work all day and only heard that I was in labour late the night before. She’s not one for hospitals since her husband passed away several years ago. However, this was for a joyous occasion and I’m glad she made the effort to be there.
While they were still there our friends showed up: Amy, Ashley and Jon. Although no relation to me or Adriana - they were also waiting on her arrival. Ashley works with children all day but never just a day old! Jon is a typical married man with no kids – he thinks babies are boring. Amy was present but has had a hard time watching her friends (and brother) have babies. She had been trying for over 2 years and recently loss her first baby. As devastating as that is, I am proud to announce that shortly after Adriana was born – Amy got pregnant! She’s due October 7th, 2012…1 week after my birthday!
Just after they left – my mom returned but this time with my dad! He knew I was in labour from talking to my mom a few times but this was his first visit to the hospital and it was to see his first ever granddaughter. He had no problem with holding her – pretty sure he was having flashbacks to when we girls were born. No tears – just smiles! My dad is one of those men with “thinning” hair as he calls it. So the first thing he did was take her little cap off to see how much hair she had; he was already jealous!  Our friend Rob showed up next – with dinner! I wasn’t pregnant but Chicken McNuggets still tasted good. He didn’t want to hold her just yet – too small he said. A few months later, he will have no choice!
It doesn’t end there – next was my aunt, uncle and cousin who live not far from the hospital. I wasn’t even expecting them but it was very nice they came. Out of their 4 children, none have decided to have babies yet – so Adriana was the closest thing to a grandchild they would have for a few more years anyways. My uncle jumped right in to hold her first – not surprising since he loves babies. My cousin Julia was terrified to hold her – too small she said!
After a long day of visitors, I was pretty tired. In order to prepare for a smooth transition to home with Tyson (or dog), Chris spent the night back at our apartment. He stayed as late as he could to keep me company and hold his new baby girl. I popped in a movie on the laptop and cuddle in with her close by. It wasn’t long before I was completely alone. I cherished the moment – baby was sleeping and no visitors. It was probably the first time I could let everything really sink in. I was a mommy now. I have a baby girl. She’s beautiful, healthy…she’s perfect

This was a good way to end the night. I snuggled into my cheap hospital blankets as best I could and fell asleep.

2 comments:

  1. Love your birth story! You did such a good job writing it all out!
    Found your blog via 20sb and am looking forward to following along in your Mommy journey :) I just began mine as well on March 31 to twin baby boys!
    I'm sure you're soaking up so many little snuggles
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Love your blog - twin boys...woah! They're gorgeous:)

    I'm following!!

    ReplyDelete