Friday, June 8, 2012

Going Home


The next morning, bright and early, my boyfriend came back to the hospital. He had spent the night with our dog so he wouldn’t be hyper when we finally got home with the baby. For those of you who have big dogs and are afraid of them being around babies, have no fear! Tyson is a Rottweiler and weights 110lbs – has never been around kids before. Months before we brought Adriana home, I would wash her clothes in baby detergent and then let Tyson smell it. This got him used to the smell of a baby being around. We almost made sure to give a little tug on his tail, paws, whiskers, ears, etc., just to be sure he was baby-proofed! He gets very excited when new people come around him so we had to make sure he was introduced properly. Rule #1: never push or pull your dog away from the baby. We always made sure to include him as much as we could from the beginning so he wasn’t out of his routine. This has worked wonders for us! He loves her, he doesn’t show any signs of resentment when we have her – he does get jealous but will come up to you for a good pet or rub down.
We slowly made our way home in the car. I have never seen my boyfriend drive so cautiously before. I sat in the backseat (still do!) with her just in case she needed something and it was easier to get in and out of the car from the back. We pulled up to our apartment, got out and walked inside. I was greeted by Tyson who clearly missed me! I had been gone for a few days and that seems like a lifetime to him! Quickly his attention went to the car seat, where the baby was of course. Repeating the words “gentle” and “nice” for him to listen, we put the car seat on the kitchen floor so he could get a good whiff of her. His attention was all over the place! He was back and forth to me then the baby. It was all too exciting for him!
We were only through the door for 20mins before we heard a knock. It was our landlord who tried to get us on Christmas Day to give us a basket of goodies! Perfect timing. She came in but not for long and got to see Adriana. My landlord was only a few months pregnant at this point, with her first child and was very excited! She loves babies and was just waiting for the right time when her and her husband could manage everything. This wouldn’t be her last visit either!
The first thing we did when we got home – took a nap! I would have leapt into the bed if I could at that point. I absolutely LOVE our bed. I spent many MANY hours in our bedroom watching TV, movies, napping, feeding the baby, snuggling, etc. It was easier because at the time her crib was set up in our bedroom just ten feet away from me.  This was only our temporary set up because we planned on moving back to Mississauga to be closer to our families – and find a 2 bedroom! When we woke up, we got ready – bundled Adriana up as best we could – and went to my mom’s house.

No comments:

Post a Comment