Monday, June 18, 2012

Introducing Meatless Mondays


This was something I saw on Oprah years ago and have actually been sticking to it! I know what some of you may be thinking – No way! I’m not giving up meat!! Hear me out for a moment. I’m not suggesting you become a full fledge vegetarian; I could never do that myself! Think about the meals you eat in one week, how many of them are meat? What about the quality of meat? I.e. boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs, prime rib or striploin.
Going meatless one day each week is a way for each of us to reduce our ecological footprint and reconnect with foods that are nutritious, delicious and cruelty-free. It’s actually becoming a more mainstream choice to be meatless even just for one day. It allows you to open your eyes (and taste buds) to new recipes and a healthier choice. Many celebrities are choosing to go Meatless on Mondays too.
I really started to do Meatless Mondays when I was pregnant. Before that it was more Meatless Lunches instead. Eventually, I even convinced my boyfriend to join me and some people at work! It was fairly easy for me to start since I love chicken over beef any day! The meals I would make using chicken breast, I started to make without any meat! Stir fry, pastas, lasagna, etc. It was actually easy and I still had great tasting food. Every Monday, I would bring my grilled vegetable pasta for lunch and my co-workers would ask what smells so good! I explained what it was and why – which seems to be the most important thing. Why do you eat no meat on Mondays? I explain that its healthy, tastes good still and I actually feel better.
As a petite woman, I get asked what my secret is to being so slim. Ha! There’s no secret – I have a fast metabolism but I also eat fairly healthy and I enjoy walking and the occasional yoga class. I trim the fat off my steaks and always use boneless, skinless chicken breast when I cook.  What’s a meal without vegetables anyways? I make sure to include at least ONE veggie in my dinner, whether its broccoli, peppers, asparagus, carrots, etc.
Some great websites to help you get started with your (and maybe your family) Meatless Mondays are:


Would you believe that some of the worlds best known celebrities do Meatless Mondays too? Yup! One of my favourites is Chef Michael Symon (read his story here) To view which celebs have joined the world movement - Click Here.

Share your story of how you started your Meatless Mondays! Better yet - share your recipes :D

No comments:

Post a Comment