Sunday, November 11, 2012

How to Chose a Stroller

The stroller evolution has evolved beyond the traditional carriage. It can be overwhelming choosing a stroller for your first time - unless you have a sister in law who recommends some for u....(Thank you, Laura!). I was given some pretty good options and it took me a little to consider what would be the best for me. So don't rush this process!! Go to the store and test the strollers, or read about the functions online. I have compiled some considerations to take into account when making the big decision. It goes beyond just the safety of your baby!

First consider the main use for the stroller. Do you plan on running with your baby? or taking several walks? How about traveling? Do you travel by bus or car? Once you figure out what you plan to do most with your stroller, then you can narrow down the types of strollers that work for you.
 Running strollers are convenience and designed to keep baby safe and give great support for those bumpy trails! If you travel by bus, you may want to consider a light-weight stroller instead of the bulky ones.
Call me crazy but if you have a spouse who is significantly taller (or shorter) that you, consider them too! My boyfriend is a FULL foot taller than me so we ONLY looked at strollers with adjustable handles to accommodate him pushing the stroller as well. Which has also helped when his mom pushes the stroller too (She's tall as well!) The adjustable handles slide up so the taller person doesn't have to hunch forward to push the stroller. Amazing idea! My boyfriend has no problem pushing our stroller since there's no strain on his back :) It gives me a break from it too....

If this is your second child - or if you've been blessed with twins! - think about the different options you have before jumping on the first double stroller you see! The tandem strollers have become more compact than the traditional ones. They're not as LONG anymore! Don't think that because you have twins or a second baby that you can't run....they have a stroller for that too! This particular stroller has great storage plus the chairs adjust to have both lean back for nap time. Also the seats remove to accommodate car seats for your little infant bundle of joy.

If you're like me and have to constantly fold up the stroller to bring it inside or put it in the trunk of the car, then you may consider one in which you can easily do so. I love that mine actually stands up by itself. Easily stored in my bedroom or on the stairs. Its a little complicated to fold but once you do it a few times - its so easy! I also love that I can have Adriana in one hand and still unfold the stroller without having to put her down. When you have your hands full - you either have to plan ahead or learn to multitask!
Personally, I chose red because I wanted something that wasn't gender specific. We plan on having another baby in a few years and would like to use the same stroller if possible. If that second baby happens to be a boy then we can reuse a good chunk of the stuff we have already. I am not a runner but I do walk every day! I needed a light weight stroller to take on the bus too. Adjustable handles work amazing for us! I'm 5'4" and my boyfriend is 6'4". The Peg Perego's handles adjust about 4inches which is better than nothing. One downside to the stroller is the cup holder. It attaches to the outside of the stroller and barely holds a water bottle. Anything larger (my tea!) and it wobbles. A way around this is to purchase a stroller strap which has a cup holder and storage pocket for keys, phone, etc.

Here are some links for more guidelines on choosing a stroller:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/strollers/buying-guide.htm
http://www.babyzone.com/products/baby-gear/stroller-buying-guide_69142
http://www.babble.com/baby/products/stroller-buying-guide/stroller-buying-guide-stroller-types/

No comments:

Post a Comment