Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas is Around the Corner

This quite literally my favourite time of the year.

Not Easter, May 2-4, Mother's day, Canada Day or even my birthday.
But Christmas! oh its the Most Wonderful time of the year!

The tree is lit up, the garland is on the stairs and around the fireplace, presents are reeling in and waiting under the Christmas for the big day to open them all. The excitement of what everyone gets and the shared excitement when its a BIG surprise. On the flip side, I hate surprises. I don't like to be put on the spot...

December is also the most giving time of the year for me. For the past 5 years I have volunteered with friends to hand out turkey's through the local foodbank (Eden Foodbank Mississauga). I look forward to doing this for the people who come to pick up their turkeys. A voucher is sent in the mail to those who use the foodbank throughout the year - it is valid for 1 FREE turkey per household. Pick up location is always accessible, with plenty of parking if needed. This year it was on December 17th - one of the coldest weekends this year. All of us bundled up in layers upon layers, sipping tea and coffee.

 Every year, there are several people who appreciate this free turkey. There are several people who have a Christmas dinner at home because of this free turkey. This is what makes someone's Christmas every year. This is the reason I volunteer my time and recruit others to join me. We don't care how cold it is - raining or snowing or hail even...we show up. The families with vouchers depend on us to show up and help hand out the turkey's as they arrive. After such a giving time, my heart is always full more than anything.

All in the same day, we attended (my) first ballet ever - The Nutcracker. I was amazed by the costumes and the dancing! What a classic story told with such grace and talent. We got tickets in September when they announced the date and had a great view! It was quiet, respectful, and emotional. Ballet was never something I learned (more of a figure skater myself!) but always had a fascination for it.


My ultimate favourite story would be Swan Lake - which happens to be coming in the early summer next year! I can't wait to see how beautiful the costumes and dancing are in that show. I would like to bring Adriana with us then. It will be her first ballet - which she has always wanted to be a ballerina! I think it would be captivating enough for her to sit through quietly, especially when she knows the story line. It is months away to figure out the details....but definitely have to go see that!

I may not post until the New year - its the busiest time and I plan on enjoying every minute. I wish you and your families a Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays!) and a most Happiest New Year. Here is hoping for another great year ahead - Hello 2017! I'm ready for ya.




No comments:

Post a Comment