Monday, February 10, 2014

A Man's Best Friend

Everyone has heard the saying before. It's nothing knew, but it does hold true feelings tonight. My dog is my best friend - hes our baby boy, a part of the family, and one if a kind. He is Tyson, the rottweiler. 

Those of you who have pets understand exactly what I mean. Even those who dont have pets can understand in some way. We all love someone (or something) as if it was one of our children. We snuggle with it, hold on tight to it. We care for it when it needs caring and take pictures to keep as memories.

A fantastic thing about a pets love is that its very similar to a parents true love. Its completely unconditional, at its truest form, pure. Our pets are one of a kind to us. They show you compassion at just the right times, even when you least expect it.

Tonight I took myself back to when I was pregnant with Adriana. At the time I found his behaviour odd but the next morning it all made sense. Not to say Tyson wasnt a very affectionate dog - sometimes a little TOO affectionate if thats possible - he showed more of a protective comforting attitude. He stayed by my side that entire night, not leaving for anything. With his back slipped just partially under the bed on the floor next to me, he stayed all night long. He was still there the next morning, right by my side, as I realized my water had broke....

Tyson knew it was going to happen. He knew before I had any clue that Adriana was on her way to this crazy world. He comforted me through my back pain while at home. He laid outside the bathroom door while I soothed my back with a hot shower. He sat next to me while I rocked away the stinging sharp pains that shot up my body. He offered reassurance that everything was going to be alright by just being there.

It was still early, six A.M., the boyfriend was still sleeping and I didnt want to wake him. It quite possibly was his last solid nights sleep for a few months. Plus we had plenty of time before we were going to officially be parents - 24.5hrs to be exact!

Tyson has taught me to be more assertive, more consistent in life. Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself and take what you deserve in this world. He has taught me to be a kid (err...puppy?) at heart no matter how old you get. He reminds me to keep smiling no matter whats going on around us. He was my constant reminder that people can change and learn to adapt at any age.

He has proven that it was never the breed but in fact the owner who makes a dog good or bad. Rottweilers come with some hard opinions from people. Tyson proved them wrong. We took our 7yr old rotti and trained him to be kid friendly. A dog who had never been around kids before, turned out to be the best kind for Adriana.  She sees him in the most perfect and unbiased way. He is our dog, Tyson. Not just another Rottweiler.

He gave us a scare tonight - again. With old age comes medical problems and we have this far very lucky his issues are manageable. A few years ago we sat on the living room floor with him paralyzed in the back legs, truly believing this was our last night with him. The next morning he got up and walked. The last few days he has had a lump on his ear and would whimper if anyone touched it. Again, we believed he would go to the vet for the last time. He came home with a prescription and doctor said it was at the early stages of a hematoma; the pills will help reduce the size and pain. In the clear again, my friend.

Just when you think its his last time, he comes back. This dog is honestly my super dog. Im not sure how else I would explain it to Adriana if he didnt come home. She knows hes old and hes sick but thats about it. Shes only 2 so I dont expext her to know much more!

How would/did you expalin losing a pet to your child?
Did you tell them right away or wait?
How long before you got another pet?
We're you skeptical on getting the exact same type of pet?

No comments:

Post a Comment