Sunday, April 14, 2013

More Sickness, Hospital and Sleep

The last few posts have been about being sick and I really thought it was over. Boy was I wrong!! This week has truly tested my patience, energy, resiliency, understand, compassion, and everything else in between. It was a beautiful start with family and food to celebrate the boyfriends birthday which happened on Tuesday. Adriana still had her running nose and  cough but was still in good spirits. This week came with a lot of rain and the boyfriend was back to work so of course he started to feel under the weather. His birthday came and gone but it was a short work week for him since it was torrential downpour for the rest of the week! Wednesday we were slapped in the face with an even sicker baby. It wasn't just a running nose, cough or a fever....she was sick sick! At first I thought maybe (a slight chance) it could be bad milk? We're always really careful about expire dates and such but perhaps...maybe? Nope. Poor little girl wasn't keeping anything down - thank goodness the boyfriend was home so I could go to work. I suggested keeping her home from daycare if shes not better and after she had a nap she did it again....and again. Finally by 3pm the boyfriend called and said he was all out of ideas. She was even refusing the Pedialyte and Tylenol! He took her to the hospital and I would meet him there after work - he was definitely going to still be there. I called my sister (she called while I was working) and when I said "hospital" she offered to come get me to get me there faster than the bus would. As a token of appreciation - I bought her a latte from Starbucks.

The hospital was filled with people - more babies than I expected! I had been messaging the boyfriend to let him know I was on my way and I had an idea of where to go. As soon as I found the bed they were in and opened the curtain my heart sank more. She looked so sick, tired but gave me the best little smile she could. I got a kiss and of course a hug! That was exactly what I needed right then...
The boyfriend stepped out to grab her a bottle of water and I just sat on the bed with her. She didn`t wiggle or roll around; she just sat with me in my arms. I love her. She drank quite a bit of water and we played the waiting game to see if it would stay down. The timing was within 45mins.

Adriana was just amazing with the nurse! We had to give her a tablet - stick it under her tongue - I just told her it was "nom nom" and she opened up her mouth. The nurse was surprised it was that easy. She then had to check her blood sugar level. I had her on my lap but needles make me nervous so I was best Daddy held her just in case. Adriana did amazing! She held out her finger and just watched the nurse do the test. She didn`t cry or give her a hard time. She always did well with needles but I thought for sure this wouldn`t be easy. You proved me wrong, Adriana. The conclusion was a viral stomach bug. They gave her a prescription for the nausea and sent us home.

After we left, we realized she hadn`t thrown up the water. Progress. We got her ready for bed, gave her a bottle and kisses. I asked her "Adriana, are we going to have a better day tomorrow?" and she nodded. I love her more. She is so much better now! Thank God.

I`m a different story. Thursday I went to work fine. I was tired but considering the week we`ve had, I thought it was understandable. I figured a good nights rest was all I needed. Boy was I wrong! I caught whatever Adriana had - starting at 3am. The only bonus I had was I knew what to expect. I always keep Ginger Gravol on hand (non drowsy) just in case, Ginger Ale and water. I did not move from my bed (except to go to the bathroom, of course) until late in the evening when I finally ate some Lipton soup. I didn`t attempt anything all day since I knew it wouldn`t stay down long enough! Only Gravol and water. The boyfriend was even nice to get me the good 12-hr regular Gravol so I could sleep most of it off. Thank You.

We are all pass the sickness and (hopefully) back to normal this week. It was a true test for us in many ways and I felt we came together as a family (as a couple) to help each other get through our first big sickness with Adriana. Our hearts broke over and over seeing her that way and we did our best to make her better. As first time parents, we really never want our children to be sick. Ever. Its the most heart wrenching thing ever! It was difficult to know what was wrong with her at first since she couldn`t tell us. I watched her facial expressions, movements, and of course temperature. Her Daddy did well too! Considering he had to spend most of the day by himself - cleaning up after her. It is stressful but he did everything he could to help her and then took it one step further by taking her to a doctor. I`m sure this won`t be the last time we go through something like this but I know it will be easier for both of us to understand her. Adriana is an amazing little girl. I can`t even explain how much it tore us up to see her that sick. I just hope she doesn`t take after her mommy and have stomach bugs a hundred times a year!!

Tomorrow is Monday. Another week to start fresh, another week of work. I think we are stronger as a family than the week before and I love it. I love the boyfriend for his effort. Most men would shy away from the signs of sickness (makes them gag) but you held on and showed Adriana the love a real daddy should. I love you babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment