Thursday, June 8, 2017

We Moved Downtown

This has been planned since the beginning of the year - to move into a condo together. We each set out our needs and then compared; most of them were the same! Back in March we started looking, reached out to a rental agent to double up on the search for the "perfect" condo. We knew we would like to move in June or July because that was close to when Patrick's current condo lease would be up. We had a (what we thought) was a generous budget that we could live comfortably and still travel.

That last part was the biggest factor for not renting a house. Not only did we only need 2bedrooms but we also didn't want to spend the extra few hundred and with no amenities. Condo life was what we were headed for.

We looked online for about 2 weeks, just casually browsing through every website I knew of including Kijiji. I came across this beautiful listing that literally had every single one of our check points and fell UNDER budget. The best part - it was in Patrick's current building on a higher floor. Is this for real? I had to jump on it so I sent him the listing and asked if he had a minute to call them because I was busy at work. Withing the next 30minutes Patrick called me and said "We have to go tonight...at 6pm" Deal!

Later that night after we viewed the condo, we sat down and filled out the paperwork. We were both filled with excitement when we left and didn't want to wait - it was a GREAT deal! It literally was the most ideal option for us as we were familiar with the building, area, etc. That was a Thursday, by Saturday we got the phone call that it was ours. I cried. He hugged me. We celebrated with dinner and wine, of course.

We spent the next few months packing up and planning the best way to tackle it - Patrick ended up having his knee surgery booked for the day we got the keys but it was necessary. I got this, no worries! We were able to start on a Wednesday to move any of the small stuff or things we could take apart easily to bring up in the elevator - Patrick was on the 12th floor, we moved to the 26th floor! That helped a HUGE amount. Friends moved most of it for me - at least the big stuff - while i tackled Adriana's room.

Over the last few months we took her shopping to pick out a few things that would make her room - HERS. She got a new bed, bedding, pillows, etc. (Thank you, IKEA, for your in expensive and uniquely designed furniture). Adriana loved making the big decisions for her room and she hadn't even seen it yet!

The plan is to spend all day today building her bed and preparing her room for when she comes tomorrow. Her dresser and toys will come on the weekend with her clothes but at least most of the decor will be done beforehand. I can't wait!! She has this fabulous view of City Hall and Celebration Square (corner windows). With such a fun room, I hope she enjoys her own space - I know we will enjoy ours on the other side of the apartment!

This is a huge step - Moving into a downtown condo with my boyfriend and Adriana. I didn't think I would ever get to this point in our life this fast. I held on to the hope that everything will work out; that my time will come to be where I've wanted to be for awhile. I believe that my ability to keep pushing forward no matter what is what got us here. I never gave up, not once. I refuse to let anything or anyone hold me back from what we deserve. We have our own space - shared with a very patient, caring and loving man. I can't wait for  the next big thing for us. We eventually want to buy a house in a few years time but for now renting is what's calling our name!





No comments:

Post a Comment