Friday, March 28, 2014

The Reality of Parenting

Lately, I have been reading some really interesting post about view from different sides of Motherhood. To be honesty, its completely entertaining to me! These posts are women, Mommies, justifying their life choices to the "other side" of parenthood. I saw one from the Stay at Home Mom to the Working Mom (and vice versa) but my favourite is one from a working mom to Gwenyth Paltrow....

You have to read this fellow Mommies (and even Daddies!)I'm not here to bash Gwen (although i'm offended by her comments) I just feel that her reference should have been more comparable. I completely appluad MacKenzie for her sarcasm, her narsicistic comments about what being a Mommy is really about when you have an office job, not a movie star. I love her over the top references to mother groups, of drinking bellinis, babysitters, and leisurely lifestyle - i LOLed.

I dont think I have ever laughed so hard when reading Scary Mommy's post of her shot of reality in Motherhood. She blantly tells you about her breaking point as a mother. We all have them....yes more than one and for several years! I can relate to some degree. I dont have nearly as many children as she does!! However I do let things bottle up and the smallest thing will set me off. I understand that becoming a parent means you signed up for the unknown things too, not just the good stuff. Yes there are times when I feel less appreciated, less special, less loved. Those are the days I simply tell myself - We will try again tomorrow.

It's not always rainbows and butterflies - although Adriana really a good kid...sometimes she lets her toddler show. You know the times they refuse to let anything go right - at all. Mornings for us consist of the same thing Monday thru Friday. Same time, same tv shows, same routine - yet every so often, Adriana decides to switch it up and fall out of routine. Its frustrating to keep her focused on getting ready (no you may not bring the BIGGEST toy to daycare...*insert tantrum here*) Shes usually really good but those days that dont work out just make my day worst from the get go. Imagine if I had 3 kids?? ....sorry Mom lol

I mention it time and time again...your kids pick up on your feelings. Keep them in check, stay calm, and keep over reactions at bay - save them for closed doors. I'm not saying dont show emotion around your kids - just choose wisely. After dinner tonight, my head was pounding.I simply held my forehead in my hand while Adriana finished her crackers. She asked if I was okay and I told her yeah my head just hurts. All she said was "I kiss it better Mommy?" melted my heart.....she believes a kiss makes everything better and shes partially right. Later she did kiss my head and tellme all better. Headache gone.

Our children are more observant than we realize sometimes. Pay more attention to why they do certain things and be aware of your own actions at the same time. You will see what I'm talking about. You will start to see the change in behaviours on both side. Maybe you will be able to create some more patience too!


What things do you do as a parent to help an emotional toddler

No comments:

Post a Comment