Monday, July 30, 2012

Broken Sleep Kind of Night

For the first time, since Adriana was only a few days old, she woke up in the middle of the night. It wasn't for a bottle, or to have her diaper changed - she wanted her mommy. I am a strong believer that babies need to be able to settle themselves back to sleep; they need to be independent and Adriana is definitely that kind of baby. I normally can hear her fussing and I will go in and give her the pacifier, which usually puts her right back to sleep. This time it did not work. I looked at the clock - it read 4:11am. Great.
I go back into her room and quickly do a diaper change - just in case - lay her down and turn on her glowing seahorse musical thingy. Doesn't work. I stood by the door in the dark waiting to see if she settle herself but it doesn't look good for me. I walk over and she's sitting up smiling. I give in and pick her up with her blanket and start rocking her. I must have stood there for what seemed like forever! She would lay her head on my shoulder then jerk it straight up after 10mins. She laid her head on my chest and she seemed to settle better than when she was on my shoulder. Hallejulah.

By the time I got back into bed it was 5:30am and my boyfriend was just getting up to walk the dog before he was off to work. I decided to turn on the news for a bit and hopefully fall back to sleep while he was gone and it was quiet. Just as I'm about to drift back into LaLa Land....Tyson comes running in from his walk! I love him but he's a big dog which makes a lot of noise (Tyson = Rottweiler,7yrs old) I'm awake again, watching the news. It wasn't until after my boyfriend leaves for work I roll over on my belly, cuddle in with all the blankets in my big empty bed and fall back to sleep.

I am a very lucky mommy to have a really good baby most of the time. She was sleeping through the night after just 2 weeks (6hrs or more) and eats well - what more could I ask for? In the last 6 and a half months, she has grown and learned many things. I'm thankful for the time I have already spent with her and I definitely look forward to the rest of it!!
Adriana, Mommy and Daddy love you more than you will ever know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment