Friday, July 27, 2012

How to Make Your Home Greener

Have  you been doing your part to help make a greener world? Admittedly, I'm not perfect at it but I damn well TRY to do my part.  We are so stuck in our ways that we sometimes don't realize what impact it makes on the environment. Making these small choices now will also help my baby girl when she's older!

Here are a few suggestions to make your home greener:

1. Cleaners: In Canada, we produce more than 6million tonnes (1ton = 2204lbs) of hazardous waste each year. Lets do our part and buy greener products. Products that use non toxic chemicals such as my favourite - Green Works! by Clorox. This series of dirt fighting cleaning products are amazing around the house - especially if you have children. I ONLY use Green Works All Purpose cleaner to wipe down my daughters highchair after a good feed. For a list of ingredients Click Here.

2. Meatless Mondays: I have preached it before about the wonders of eating no meat for one day a week in my previous post, Introducing Meatless Mondays. Animal agriculture is responsible for a whopping 18% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming. That’s more than all forms of transportation combined – on the entire planet! The emissions come from methane in animal manure, nitrous oxide from fertilizer used to grow animal feed, and the cutting down of forests for grazing land. For more information visit my post or go directly to the Meatless Monday website.

3. Follow the Three R's: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Reduce waste in your home like electricity by using fans instead of cranking the air conditioner in the summer. Or purchase a heated mattress pad or heated blanket for the winter months so your furnace can have a little break this winter. Even adjusting your thermostat by a few degrees can do absolute wonders to the environment - and you hydro bill! Reuse plastic grocery bags for lunches, picking up the dog poop, or purchase reusable bags and eliminate the plastic ones altogether! Recycling can be beneficial to everyone. If you're area doesn't have a recycling program, you can call around to scrap yards who will pay for your aluminum cans. It's not much but if you collect enough, it should give you a couple of bucks in your pocket.


4. Diaper Genie: Did you know in the GTA, you can recycle used diapers? Yup! It's listed as a recycled item on the Waste Management site. This is only if they're put in the blue bag or Diaper Genie cartridges.

How do you go GREEN in your home? Let me know some other ways to be greener in the home and I will post them next month!! You can comment or send me an email HERE. I can't wait to hear all your ideas!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment