Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Handmade Gifts

"Blankets wrap you in warmth, but Quilts wrap you in Love"  -Unknown
 
You can never turn away a handmade gift. Whether it be just a simple card from friends' kid or a blanket - handmade by a special special person from your life. Its hard to keep track of the gifts when you have your baby shower or after. I find it very easy to remember the handmade gifts much easier. Although Adriana received many many blankets, she received 2 special ones that I will hold on to forever.
One was a tightly knitted blanket of white, pink and blue. This was a perfect size to be in her crib the day we brought her home. She continued to sleep with it and have it wrapped around her in the car seat and stroller. Now she's a little big to be wrapped in it but as it gets colder outside, her blankets in the crib get thicker; almost time for this beauty.

Recently, I went to check the mail and had received a package that I was anxious about. I cut the brown wrapping paper down the side and uncovered a box. With a couple of slits in the taped lid, I opened the box which revealed a few things. I started with the letter which says the blanket was for Adriana's first birthday but it was ready now. To go along with the blanket were some runners for our table: 1 for my mom, 1 for my sister and 1 for me - all handmade.
I carefully took out the white plastic bag and removed the twist tie. Sliding the blanket out of the bag I unfolded it and through tears I saw the handy craft work. The quilt had been meticulously sewed that only one with many years of experience could do. I opened the quilt and laid it across the crib. Stepping back I felt overwhelmed with appreciation, joy, thankfulness, slight guilt, but more happiness. I snap a quick picture and explain to Adriana where the blanket came from and who it was for. She loved the different patterns and colours, that when I started folding it again - she cried! Poor little girl just wanted to play with it.
It works out perfectly because I planned on switching her Animal theme out and bringing in more of a softer theme filled with pinks and purples! This is why I painted her dresser purple not long ago :) The quilt will make it perfect and the texture will entice Adriana - who is a touch and feel baby.

The Point: Handmade gifts are more thoughtful and depending on the item, it could become an heirloom! This particular blanket will be kept for many many years - in which will eventually retire to the end of my own bed after all the children have grown up :) Thank you to John and Trudy for the lovely quilt for Adriana. The time and love that has been put into making it, will definitely be felt every night she sleeps with it and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment