Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How Does a Baby Learn to Dance?

When your baby learns to stand (while holding on to something or by themselves), they usually learn to dance to the music they hear. Do you want your little one to bust a move in the crib, playpen, living room - wherever - more often? More to my post on The Effects of Music on Babies and Toddlers, your baby will start bopping to the sweet melodies they here when they're ready! Usually babies will mimic what they see and when they're encouraged to do it. The average age for learning to dance is between about 9 - 14mths; same as learning to stand.

Adriana is 7mths old and we just have to say "Dance Dance" and she does! She's also been listening to music from the day she was born and I've been no stranger to dancing around the apartment with her in my arms or watching from her crib or playpen!  She loves watching me bust new moves - glad someone can appreciate my dance skills besides myself! lol She started after several weeks of bopping in her playpen. We listen, sing, dance to music every day. There isn't a particular type of music that gets her dancing - just happy music! Anything playing on the radio really - sometimes I just have to say dance and I encourage her to dance too. She's already learning that if I make a big deal about it, she does it more and when I don't, she stops or does it less often. This is a good thing for her whiny days - I just don't entertain it and she stops!

She's so happy to dance for anyone who will watch her! She dances in her playpen, high chair, car seat, stroller or even just standing at the coffee table! This has been going on for just a few days but I love it!! Share your Dancing Baby story or video in the comments below or email me here!

What music does your baby move to?

2 comments: