Monday, August 13, 2012

The Effects of Music on Babies and Toddlers

Adriana went for her 7mth check up today and the doctor said something really interesting to me. She commented on how alert she was to her voice and objects - then asked if she listens to a lot of music. This peaked my curiosity because I do make a habit of putting on the radio and dancing around while cleaning up. She also bops to it sometimes too! When I was pregnant, I listened to a lot of music too. While walking home from work, cleaning, cooking, whenever! and OF COURSE I would dance around lol
When I got home, I started to do some reading on music and the effects it has on babies. I was amazed at what I found! Seriously....something as simple as putting on some pop music increases a babies development. The research shows that anything from lullabies to classical to pop or soft rock can sooth a baby to sleep and/or boost their moods. Music has the same effect on adults too! Research on premature babies showed a significant improvement in development post labour. Read more about it here.

Starting as early as when you`re pregnant can have enormous effects on your baby! Since listening to music soothes and can boost your mood (depending on the type of music you listen to) these effects are passed to baby as well. It will calm them, maybe even put them to sleep with your swaying dance moves! These same effects continue as your newborn develops into a toddler. The first few months helps develop their hearing/listening skills. Research shows it also improves speech in babies. They find it easier to associate words with melodies and therefore increasing chances of learning to produce those same words by themselves. Read more about it here.
Has your baby first year come and gone? No need to fret! Music does even more wonders for Toddlers :) The same mood boosters continue, as well as the increase vocabulary. Memory boosters are introduced through music during their toddler years. Toddlers will start remembering tunes, or shows that play music (love the Disney Junior channel!) Through music, toddlers can learn shapes, colours, body parts and letters.  The best thing I came across about the effects of music and toddlers - it makes them more cooperative! Create a "Clean up song" that teaches your toddler to start putting away the toys when the song is played. I remember seeing this on The Big Comfy Couch too years ago! Read more about it here.

Do you play music for your baby?
What type of music do you listen/sing/dance with your baby?
Do you let your toddler watch music videos or just shows with music?
Share your story in the comments below or email me here!

2 comments:

  1. I love music and I have always wanted the Little Mister to enjoy it too! I played all of my own music that I love while pregnant. When I was cleaning up the house, I'd dance around (as much as a preggo lady can) and sing along badly. I loved turning the music up in the car while driving and it was so cool when I felt him dancing inside my belly :)
    When he was born music would soothe him instantly and I am thrilled that he loves when I sing songs or when he hears music on the TV or the stereo. He has even shown an interest in an old guitar we have going up to it and making noises with the strings! I hope to keep encouraging that interest he has so that he can have music for when he needs to soothe himself or express himself - music has been an amazing influence in my life x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! I'm sure your Little Mister will learn to love and appreciate music just as much as you do! I did the same thing when I was pregnant - my choice was Adele. It was soothing, made me dance, sing loud, whatever! while I cooked and clean. When I play it now - Adriana gets excited!
    I'd like her to learn the piano or guitar or another instrument....except flutes, recorders, clarinets, etc. I will need a sound proof room to tolerate those! lol

    ReplyDelete