Saturday, July 27, 2013

First Time Flyer to Newfoundland

Adriana finally went on an airplane!! As nervous as I was, that little girl proved to me that she could totally handle it. It was about 3hrs of flying and she sat with me for 2hrs of that. The other hour was going back to visit her Grandad, Ian and Uncle Gary. She walked around the aisle saying Hiya to everyone. One person even stopped her to play Candy Crush!! She was a hit on the plane going there. Of course we got the looks from people (omg a toddler on the plane - sitting beside me - oh no!) Those same people were thanking us for a pleasant trip when it was time to get off. They were just as surprised as I was by her ability to handle flying better than her Mommy!
We were well prepared too. I had Finding Nemo on my phone for her to watch, some new toys, her markers and colouring books, plus some snacks to keep her occupied. The movie helped her a lot to stay seated on the way up and down. We also had a window seat - her Aunt Jill and Uncle Pat were sat beside us so when we did have to get out, it was pretty easy. I really cannot complain about how well she did flying for the first time.

Here are some recommendations I have for other Mommies/Daddies flying with a toddler:
  • Know your kid and be prepared. You know when they need a nap, if they're easily distracted, hungry often, restless, etc. I had to use Gravol on the way back for Adriana because I knew she would need a nap but would be distracted by all the new faces. It worked like a charm and I got in some cuddle time while she slept on me.
  • Movies. They don't always show the best movies for kids. I used my phone and was able to lock the screen so she could hold it herself and not press any buttons. She loved the freedom of holding the phone by herself.
  • Pacifier. Not all kids do well with taking off and landing so be prepared. If they're not willing to snack all the way up/down then hand them a suckie and blankie until you get up in the air or on the ground. This helped keep Adriana calm when we were landing since it was a bouncing ride!
  • Markers and Colouring books. This really helped her sit in one spot! I made sure to bring activities that would keep her calm and when all else fails - showing her pictures of doggies really helped!
  • Be flexible. Remember they are toddlers and are probably not going to sit in a seat for the entire time. Especially with new people around. They may even try your patience but you have to treat it the same way anywhere. Don't let the stares get to you - they don't know you or your life! Smile and keep going :D


We definitely had a great time in Newfoundland!

No comments:

Post a Comment