Tuesday, September 11, 2012

How to Introduce your Dog to a Baby

This is strictly my personal experience. I read many articles online, many books, and offered advice from friends/ family.

If you don't know yet - My boyfriend and I have had a Rottweiler named Tyson. He was 7yrs old by the time our daughter, Adriana was born and had never been around other babies. Ever. So we knew we had to work on this as soon as possible. After we found out I was pregnant, I started researching "How to introduce a dog to a newborn" and anything else that was similar to that. Call me crazy but I actually sat my dog down and gave him the "talk" about a new baby on his/her way. I actually talk to my dog a lot - he's a very loving animal, despite his intimidating breed - he was my baby boy.

I never ever pushed my dog away. In fact, I would encourage him to come lay his head on my belly in hopes the baby would kick him. She never did. I would lay with him for hours in the bed or on the couch, watching TV or reading a book. Every time I bought something for the baby, I would let him sniff it out and explain that it was for the baby. He was able to sniff out almost anything that was going to be hers. Blankets, clothes, diapers, teddy bears...whatever! This allowed Tyson to get used to the smell of the baby without the baby actually being there. We even set up the crib while he watched from the doorway. He sniffed that out too.

I always find this part of the story amazing....On my due date, my waters actually broke and I remember the night before very clearly. Tyson usually sleeps at the foot of the bed on the floor or in the living room. The night before he slept right beside me, on the floor. I actually stepped on him when I went to get up in the morning! He was so close that his head was under my nightstand and some of his back was under the frame of the bed. I thought it was weird because he doesn't usually lay there, but it wasn't until later when we went to the hospital that it all started to make sense. He knew.

When I got out of bed the first time and made my way to the bathroom, he was right outside the door waiting for me. Then I sat in the glider to relieve some back pain. He sat so close he was literally on my foot. I went back to the bathroom to run a shower and he sat on the floor until I was done. Then I went to lay back in bed and he returned to his spot right beside me on the floor. To this day, I am convinced he knew what was happening. He knew the baby was on her way and was trying to comfort me by being by my side the whole time I was at home. If that isn't dog love....then I don't know what is!

After the baby was born, my boyfriend took her original receiving blanket from the hospital and brought it home. He showed it to the dog and laid it on the table for him to sniff it out. Apparently, he did for a few minutes and then went to lay down. This was a good sign that he was used to the smell at least. My boyfriend went back late that night to keep Tyson company - we wanted to make sure he was calm when we brought the baby home. The next day, late morning, we walked through the door with our baby girl in her car seat. Inevitably, Tyson was excited to see me and very curious about this little tiny person wrapped in blankets. My boyfriend held Adriana, who was still strapped in her car seat, while I said hello to my baby boy. Once he had a few minutes of my time, he went straight over to the car seat. Sniffing like crazy, while she slept away. Then he slowly stuck out his tongue and gave her a soft lick on the face. No word of a lie - I had tears in my eyes. I think we were both relieved by his reaction towards her. Not a growl, not a huff, or anything...he loves her.

For the next few days, we were very careful with them together still. I mean, she was a newborn and he's a hundred pound dog! A few times while I held her wrapped in her blankets, Tyson was allowed on the bed while my boyfriend watched him. He was always very curious about her; wanted to be near her with everyone else. At night when she made a noise, he would be right by her crib whimpering because he couldn't see inside, couldn't see her. Very cute. He would give her soft licks on her face or her feet. He was gentle with her. Very different than what everyone thought would happen.

My parents have a long haired chihuahua, named Miko. Like Tyson, he is my mom's baby boy. He was NOT ready for the baby and even to this day has a hard time with her around. He literally runs and hides, especially since she started to crawl around. We try to hold him near her and let her pat him softly but it doesn't work. Miko literally shakes and claws to be away from her. Small dog syndrome?
My sister has a black lab puppy named Tango. She's a hyper dog but does well with Adriana considering she's still learning. Only one problem: Tango likes to lick - a lot. That's all fine and dandy except she does it in her ears. Could potentially be a problem if Adriana gets ear infections. Still, I give her credit for the fact she mostly ignores the baby - too busy running around with her toys, bone, or to get my sister's attention.

Best advice I can give is make sure you allow your pup as much time as possible to warm up to someone new being around. Make sure they can be gentle, have their tail tugged at, ears pulled, and paws touched. These are good starter points. Don't forget to introduce the smell of a baby, use the word "baby" a lot to associate her things.

"That's the Baby's crib"
"The baby is on the way"

Give your pooch some time. Be confident in them. and never, EVER, push them away when they try to get close to the baby. Include them in that time, a little bit at first and more as they deserve. Dogs just want attention and love from the same people as before the little bundle of joy came along. It's different for them - one day its just him and two people and then there's a baby. I was always confident in Tyson. I knew how loving he really is and how he would love her just the same. He very gentle with Adriana and she with him. It's crazy to see them play together - while sitting in her highchair, she'll stick her little hand out with some food on it and Tyson will lick it off. She even goes one step further and tries to play with his tongue! He is not bothered by it at all, he thinks its a game while he tries to lick her fingers. Not once getting frustrated. I love our rottweiler. He will be 8 years old in a few months and although he doesn't have much time left...I hope she really gets to play with him like we really want her to.

No comments:

Post a Comment